Finite and Non-finite Verbs

Finite and Non-finite Verbs

In English, there are finite and non-finite verbs. In this post, I would try to explain to you, as clear as I could do, about finite and non-finite verbs. By reading this article, I hope you could understand the idea of finite and non-finite verbs. If after you read this post but you still do not understand what the idea is, you can throw me an email at feriariyatmoko17@gmail.com.

Finite Verbs

There are two methods or test that you could use to understanding this idea.
Method 1 of 2: Change the pronoun from I, We, or They to He, She or It.

A finite verb is one which changes its form when we change the pronoun from I, We, or They to He, She or It.
Example:
I am a writer.
When we change the pronoun to “He”, the linking verb “am” would have to change to “is” :
He is a writer.
Then, we could say that “am” is finite.

Another example:
I work everyday.
to:
He works everyday.
Then, we could say that “work” is finite.


Method 2 of 2: Change the time reffered from present to past or from past to present.

A finite verb is one which changes its form when we change the time reffered from past to present or from present to past.
Example:
I am working now.
Then, we change the time from present to past:
I was working yesterday.
Then, we could that “am” is finite.


Another example:
He played a game.
to:
He plays a game.
Then, we could say that “played” is finite.





Non-finite Verbs

There is simple method that you could use to check a non-finite verb.
A non-finite verb is a verb which doesn’t change its form no matter if we change the pronoun or the time referred.
Example:
She is listening to music.

Listen” is a verb. In that sentence, listening is a non-finite verb. Because when we change the pronoun from “She” to “We” (for example), “listening” does not change.

We are listening to music.
Then, we could say that listening is a non-finite verb.

Another example:
She is listening to music.
to:
She was listening to music.
Then, we could say, again, that listening is a non-finite verb.

So, that is the idea. Remember you can always send me an email if you still do not understand about finite and non-finite verbs. I would love to help you.

See you next post..